The Gateway Initiative is a set of services designed to provide low-income, 1st generation students with the necessary resources, academic skills, and appropriate referrals that will allow them to reach their maximum personal, academic, and career potential. Gateway supports students to be successful at UCI and to be 'top performers' in their respective academic fields.
Gateway Initiative Services:
Book and Chromebook Loan Program
The book loan program is a program for income-eligible students to be able to borrow textbooks, Chromebooks, and materials from Student Success Initiatives (SSI). Students need to visit SSI to check eligibility. Eligible students will be given a contract and instructions on how to borrow books.
- Please visit our online library to see available items at ssiatuci.libib.com
- Instructions for book check out can be found here: SPRING 20 Book Loan Check out
- If you would like to recommend a Book for SSI to include in our library, please fill out our Recommendation Form.
Student Success Initiatives will be offering students the opportunity to check out items through our Book Loan Program for the Summer Sessions! It will be offered during our office hours; Tues-Thurs between 10am – 3pm.
- If you would like to utilize the book loan program for the Summer, please sign up for a pick-up time at the following link: Book Loan Appointment for Pick-Up. Appointments are on a first come first serve basis. This is to ensure the proper physical distancing of students.
- Before signing up, please check our website to make sure the item you need is available.
- Please only come to get your item during your scheduled pick up time. Pick-ups will be in Student Success Initiatives Office, 2200 Student Services II on the 2nd
- Please be sure to wear a face covering/mask when picking up your book(s).
Student Success Initiatives offers our income and academically eligible students an opportunity to get a scholarship for the on-campus tutoring. The link to check eligibility is available on the SSI website during the first 2 weeks of the quarter.
Leadership Development Opportunities
First-generation, low income, and transfer students have the opportunity to work in the SSI office as Peer Educators or Peer Mentors and develop professionally while helping other UCI students to develop and their achieve goals. Application for these positions open during the Spring quarter. SSI promotes these positions by emailing our students, posting flyers in the office, and posting the positions on the SSI Facebook and webpage.
Graduate School Preparation
Student Success Initiatives will provide information sessions that help students learn about graduate school, GRE prep courses, a graduate school prep course (University Studies 45) during winter quarter, and GRE prep materials for eligible students.
Free and Discounted Printing
Student Success Initiatives provides free printing for our program participants by giving them print cards when the participate in workshops and meetings. SSI also offers printing at discount for anyone who visits the SSI office.
Second-year Transitional Experience Program (STEP) was developed to help first generation and low income first- year students transition into their second year at UC Irvine. STEP aims to help students with their academic and personal needs.
Positioned between freshmen and junior year (2 years with strong academic identities) the second year is often overshadowed. The STEP program aims to focus on the unique needs of sophomore students with the goal of helping them to succeed and thrive at UCI.
Academic Success Plans (ASPs)
The purpose of an ASP meeting is to help students think about their current behaviors and help them to think about new skills they might adopt that will help them to stay on track/ increase their academic success at UCI. The goal is to provide the student with valuable tips and suggestions and help them to develop strategies for academic success.